Monday 12 November 2012

Crypto I class at Coursera

In August/Spetember I attended the free Crypto I class at Coursera. It's a class about modern cryptography thought by professor Dan Boneh from Stanford University.
It requires some knowledge of discrete probability but even for me who had last math lectures around 10 years ago it wasn't a big issue.

Course lasts about 6 weeks and classes are presented as video lectures. After each class there is a required homework and optional programming homework. I would suggest to everyone to do the programming part also because after theorising you get to see the practical part too. Programming assignments were a little difficult for me as I started programming in python just recently but they were solvable.


Topics included are stream ciphers, block ciphers, message integrity, basic key exchange, public key encryption and more.

If you solve enough homeworks you will get a statement of acomplishment that looks something like this:



Overall, I was very impressed by the course and have gained new knowledge about the topics covered in the course. I would recommend the course to anyone learning about security. As not everything was covered in this class, Crypto II will begin in January on Coursera. Can't wait!


2 comments:

  1. Simply want to say your article is astonishing. The clearness in your post is simply spectacular and i can assume you are an expert on this subject. Well with your permission allow me to grab your rss feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the gratifying work. antminer shop

    ReplyDelete